A day in the life of Autism

Sunday, June 11, 2006

Just the beginning...

I have been through all the moments that most mom's of a autistic child have been through-Did I eat right, did I bump him wrong....Well I know that a lot of things were going on when I was pregnant with him. I had left my husband before I knew I was pregnant, had a baby already who would be 18 months old at his birth, had a difficult pregnancy due to him laying on my cyatic nerve, was on medication so I could walk since I had to work, I worked up until the birth so I could take the full time off to be with the baby, I was 3 hours away from my family....the list goes on and on. When I did have him he was sick all the time, I really wondered was this child going to live?? He had pneumonia 4 times before he was 2. I finally moved and changed doctors, they told me that I needed to go to an ENT who looked at his ears and we had tubes put in immediately. They told me that he would need speech therapy since he was already 2 and could not talk(his old ped told me not to compare him to his sister, that he'll catch up). I did this, he still was sick and throwing tantrums. We went to a ped pulminologist and found out he had asthma, we had his tonsils and adnoids out. He graduated from speech therapy. Still having tantrums and other issues like just wanting to rock and getting in trouble at daycare. He only wanted me to scratch his arms. He would only eat certain foods. I really could not get the doctors to help. They ran every medical test there was. They finally said let's go to a psychiatrist since we can't find a medical problem. By now we are in Kindergarten. I tell her about the problems we are having and she looks at him reads the notes from the Kindergarten teacher that I get daily so we can keep track of whats going on at school(mostly bad). She looks at me and says you had not idea he was Autistic?or Obessive Compulsive??as he is stacking the blocks in the same way the third time??

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home